IWC, the International Watch Co. AG, is based in Schaffhausen, Switzerland, since 1868 and is part of the Richemont group since 2000. It was the 27 years old watchmaker Florentine Ariosto Jones, deputy director of E. Howard Watch & Clock Company in Boston, USA, who decided in 1868 to start his own business – the International Watch Co.AG - in Switzerland. In 1880 Johannes Rauschenbach-Vogel, a manufacturer of machinery also based in Schaffhausen, took over the company. This lead to the commercial breakthrough of IWC. Likewise, they successfully managed the quartz crisis in the 1970s and 1980s by focusing on classical mechanical complications.
The construction for an automatic winding was used in the timepieces series Kaliber 85. Here, the movements of the person wearing the watch ensures its winding up of the movement. Currently, the collections Grande Complication and the aviator watches Classica and Portofino are most sought after. In 2007 IWC opened their first own, in-house timepieces museum in Schaffhausen.